22 Dog Training Tips
Here are 22 great dog training tips you should be aware of and use as much as possible.
- Always make it a habit to touch your new puppy’s ears, tail and paws. This dog training tip will help reduce stress and fear during vet examinations or grooming appointments.
- Brushing your puppy on a regular basis will teach him that brushing is part of his regular routine and doing it will get easier as your dog gets older.
- The easiest way to get your puppy used to walking on a leash is to let her drag the leash around on her own to get accustomed to the pressure of the buckle and leash.
- Do not play tugging games with your dog as it encourages aggressive behavior.
- Do not allow your puppy to chew on your hands, feet or clothes. Instead give the dog a bone or chew toy to bite.
- Socialization should start as soon as your puppy is totally vaccinated and continue throughout your dog’s life.
- The safest way to introduce new dogs to each other is when both dogs are on a leash.
- The safest way to pet a dog is to let the dog to sniff your hand before you pet it.
- Before petting any dog always ask the dog’s owner if it is OK and if the dog is friendly.
- A puppy that is not housebroken must be supervised at all time unless you place the dog in a crate or a localized area.
- Here’s an important dog training tip some people don’t realize… don’t spend every waking moment with your new puppy as it is important you allow your puppy some alone-time to encourage her independence.
- If your dog is experiencing separation anxiety, leave a TV or a radio on to keep your dog company.
- Be consistent when teaching your dog a command. Be sure the whole family uses the same word as different words will confuse the dog.
- You must be consistent with any behavior you teach. So if you never want your dog to jump, there should never be a time that jumping is acceptable.
- When praising your dog for performing an action, say “Good Sit”, “Good Down”, “Good Come”, etc… instead of “Good Boy/Girl” for all.
- Random good acts like sitting, laying down, or chewing on a toy or bone should always be praised even when you didn’t ask for the behavior.
- All dogs should have a place to relax and to be left alone.
- Socialize your dog often with other dogs, people, children, objects, and different environments.
- If you are trying to housebreak your dog it is best to pick its food and water up after 30 minutes.
- Never pet a dog when it is afraid of something or it will teach the dog that it is OK to be afraid.
- Dogs and children should always be supervised by an adult no matter how good the dog or how sweet the child.
- Learn your dog’s body language. A wagging tail doesn’t necessarily mean the dog is happy.
22 Dog Training Tips was last modified: July 23rd, 2013 by
Recent Dog Training Posts
- Dogs and Valentine’s Day February 13, 2015
- 8 Great Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe this Halloween. October 31, 2014
- Dealing with Dog Aggression in a Home with Two Dogs (Akita and Siberian Husky) March 27, 2014
- Dog Pet Peeves about Humans – Dog Humor April 17, 2013
- “Excerpts from a Dog’s Diary” – Dog Humor April 17, 2013