5 Easy Steps for Raising a Puppy
- Never leave your puppy unsupervised. Always leave your pup in a crate or confined area where he/she cannot hurt itself. This will also prevent bad habits from developing.
- Socialize your puppy with adults, and children. Once your pup receives its inoculations socialize your dog with other animals as well.
- Establish yourself as pack leader. Your puppy is a social pack animal. By establishing yourself as the “Alpha-dog” or leader of the pack, your pup will grow up to respect you, respond to you, bond to you and want to please you. He/She will also become a much happier and confident dog.
- Mix food with water before serving. Mix your puppy’s dry kibble with water so that it looks like a stew. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes before feeding. Kibble can expand up to thirty percent; so let it expand in the bowl rather than in your pup’s stomach, thus avoiding indigestion and possible behavior problems.
- Touch conditioning. Touch all areas of your puppy’s body so he/she will become conditioned and comfortable with your touch and your feel.
5 Easy Steps for Raising a Puppy was last modified: April 16th, 2013 by
Recent Dog Training Posts
- Dogs and Valentine’s Day February 13, 2015
- 8 Great Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe this Halloween. October 31, 2014
- Dealing with Dog Aggression in a Home with Two Dogs (Akita and Siberian Husky) March 27, 2014
- Dog Pet Peeves about Humans – Dog Humor April 17, 2013
- “Excerpts from a Dog’s Diary” – Dog Humor April 17, 2013