1. Never leave your puppy unsupervised. Always leave your pup in a crate or confined area where he/she cannot hurt itself. This will also prevent bad habits from developing.
2. Socialize your puppy with adults, and children. Once your pup receives its inoculations socialize your dog with other animals as well.
3. Establish yourself as pack leader. Your puppy is a social pack animal. By establishing yourself as the “Alpha-dog” or leader of the pack, your pup will grow up to respect you, respond to you, bond to you and want to please you. He/She will also become a much happier and confident dog.
4. Mix food with water before serving. Mix your puppy’s dry kibble with water so that it looks like a stew. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes before feeding. Kibble can expand up to thirty percent; so let it expand in the bowl rather than in your pup’s stomach, thus avoiding indigestion and possible behavior problems.
5. Touch conditioning. Touch all areas of your puppy’s body so he/she will become conditioned and comfortable with your touch and your feel.
Raising a puppy can be challenging but you don't have to do it alone! Follow these simple steps and you'll be on your way to raising a wonderful puppy! If you still have problems with socializing, or any other dog training, call us at (813) 951-4480 or contact us at Florida Dog Training School!